Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What a Library Card Can Get You


1960 is the first time I can write my name all by myself. That is the ticket to getting my own library card.

My father is a teacher. My mother is a lover of literature. With them, the six of us kids spend our weekends at the library choosing adventures for each coming week.

We are lovers of books. We are lovers of words. We read. We play Scrabble. The library is our second home.

In college I work in the library to pay my tuition. I become a teacher. I read to my classes. I share my favorite books with my students. I love the library.

1981 is the third summer I teach summer school. My classroom looks across the courtyard toward the library windows. The librarian is a handsome man.

The librarian is a lover of books. He is a teacher. I move in with him at the end of the summer.

We become teaching partners. We read. We play Scrabble. We have been married twenty-six years.

He’s the most wonderful thing I have ever checked out of the library!

By Daphne Anne

1 comment:

Kritter said...

As I remember we boys did a lot less planning than you did. When we went to the Milwaukie Library I couldn't help but get stuck focusing my attention out the window at the great little creek that passed by as well as the falls across the street. How I wished they had kept books next to the creek. I always felt, why read books when you could go outside and do things for real. Oh well dad had a way to make us like books... 5,10 and 25 cent books. I think you made all of the money!